Transitional Bilingual Program
- Available at Saxton Middle School (Grades 6-7), South Ocean Middle School (Grades 8) and Patchogue-Medford High School (Grades 9-12)
- Transitional Bilingual Education (TBE) programs offer students of the same home language the opportunity to learn to speak, understand, read, and write in English while continuing to learn academic content in their home language. The students’ home language is used to help them progress academically in all content areas while they acquire English.
- The goal of a TBE Program is to provide students with the opportunity to transition to a monolingual English classroom setting without additional supports once they reach proficiency. Even though the amount of English instruction students receive will increase over time, in a TBE program, there will always be home language instruction/supports allowing students the opportunity to develop bilingually.
English as a New Language Program
- Available at Oregon Middle School, Saxton Middle School, South Ocean Middle School and Patchogue-Medford High School
- Instruction in this program, formerly known as English as a Second Language (ESL), emphasizes English language acquisition. In an ENL program, language arts and content-area instruction are taught in English using specific ENL instructional strategies. Some content area classes are Integrated ENL classes.
- Students receive core content area and English language development instruction, including the use of the home/primary language as support and appropriate ELL instructional supports to enrich comprehension. Integrated ENL classes are taught by a teacher dually certified in the content area and ENL or are co-taught by a certified content area teacher and a certified ENL teacher. In a Stand-alone ENL class, students receive English language development instruction taught by a NYS-certified teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) in order to acquire the English language needed for success in core content areas. This program typically serves ELL students from many different home/primary languages backgrounds whose only common language is English and therefore cannot participate in a bilingual program.
- In Integrated ENL classes, students receive core content area and English language development instruction, including the use of the home/primary language as support and appropriate ELL instructional supports to enrich comprehension. Integrated ENL classes are taught by a teacher dually certified in the content area and ENL or are co-taught by a certified content area teacher and a certified ENL teacher.
6th Grade Dual-Language Program
- Available at Oregon Middle School and South Ocean Middle School
- The goal of this program is to be a transition from the K-5 Dual Language program to main-stream classes for 7th grade and beyond. Students will continue to develop literacy and proficiency in English and in Spanish.
- The two-way Dual Language program includes both native English speakers and ELLs.
- Subjects taught in Spanish: Science and Spanish Language Arts
- Subjects taught in English: English, Math, and Social Studies
Please refer to the flyers below for more information on what happens after 6th grade and a sample 6th grade schedule.