Seal of Civic Readiness
Dear Students and Families:
We are pleased to notify you that the Patchogue-Medford School District will be participating in the New York State Education Department’s Seal of Civic Readiness Initiative. The Seal of Civic Readiness is a special distinction on a high school transcript and diploma. It recognizes high school graduates who have attained a high level of proficiency in civic knowledge, civic mindset, civic skills, and civic experiences.
The goals of the Seal of Civic Readiness include:
- Exemplifying a commitment to participatory government, civic responsibility, and civic values.
- Recognizing the value of civic engagement and scholarship.
- Demonstrating to universities, colleges, and future employers that the student has completed an action project in civics or social justice.
Students who wish to apply for the Seal of Civic Readiness must meet the initial requirements listed below. Students who meet these requirements, and who are interested in earning the seal, will be given the opportunity to start the application process immediately.
Initial Requirements for Earning the NYS Seal of Civic Readiness
- Obtain course credit in Global History I, Global History II, and US History & Government (or course credit in Global History 1 Honors, AP World, and AP US History & Government)
- Obtain mastery or proficiency level (passing score) on one or more of the following Regents Exams: Global History Regents Exam, United States History Regents Exam.
Stay tuned for announcements regarding an upcoming webinar that will provide more information to students and families. Please contact Catherine Carella-Dean, Director of Secondary Humanities at email@example.com with questions.