COVID-19 Contact Tracing & Testing Protocols
In-District Contact Tracing
The District's COVID-19 Coordinator, Dr. Jones, will work in collaboration with the Suffolk County Department of Health (SCDOH) to identify, isolate, and prevent the spread of COVID-19. In order to successfully monitor each school's health screening protocols, contact tracing and quarantine/isolation requirements, each school has deemed the school nurse as the COVID-19 Facilitator to work under the direction of the district’s COVID-19 Coordinator. The procedures the district will follow include:
- An online health screening system to survey all staff, vendors, visitors, parents and guardians that enter the schools. In addition to screening an individual's health, the system will log the building the person is visiting. Individuals will be asked to log onto the district's health questionnaire form to complete the health screening. If they do not have a device, an IPad will be provided in each buildings vestibule with proper cleaning products for individuals to use.
- Each classroom will have a log in which visitors to the class will be recorded. Should a person visit a classroom when they are not scheduled to be in a classroom for a particular time or day, they must record their name and time of entry and departure from that room.
- Visitors will be restricted from all schools and district offices and only allowed when absolutely necessary. All meetings will be managed online whenever possible.
- In the event that there is a laboratory confirmed case in a school, all students and teachers in that class that are assumed to be close contacts, will be instructed to self-quarantine for 10 days since their last exposure to that case. The district will notify the state and local health department immediately upon being informed of any positive COVID-19 diagnostic test result by an individual within school facilities or on school grounds, including students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- The district will fully cooperate with contact tracing efforts made by the local health department, including assisting with notification of potential contacts. The district will maintain all data collected by our online health screening system to assist in contact tracing efforts.
- The district will utilize home temperature checks for all staff. All students and visitors will have temperature checks prior to being admitted into the building. All data will be maintained to assist he Suffolk County Department of Health (SCDOH) in contact tracing efforts.
COVID-19 Testing Information
To find a test site near you, please click one of the links below:
COVID-19 Testing Protocols
Patchogue-Medford School District is working in collaboration with the Suffolk County Department of Health (SCDOH) on confirmed COVID Cases. In addition, please note the following testing protocols:
- The district does not test students or staff for COVID-19 or any other disease. The district will assist families, students, and staff with COVID 19 testing as necessary. The district will work closely with the Suffolk County Department of Health (SCDOH), as well as local testing sites to support testing.
- All local testing sites will be posted in a link on the district’s website. Individuals who have questions regarding eligibility or access for testing should call the NYS COVID-19 Hotline at 1-888-364-3065 or visit the NYSDOH website https://covid19screening.health.ny.gov.
- We will have designated staff that are trained and equipped with thermometers and proper personal protective equipment to conduct the temperature checks. Anyone identified with possible symptoms of COVID-19 or illness will be directed to the school nurse for further evaluation.
- Any staff member who screens positive for potential COVID-19 symptoms by the school nurse, or who presents with a temperature greater than 100.0°F, will be sent home immediately with instructions to contact their healthcare provider for assessment and testing.
- Any student who screens positive for potential COVID-19 symptoms, or who presents with a temperature greater than 100.0°F, will be isolated immediately until they are picked up from school.
- Parents/guardians will be provided with instructions to contact their healthcare provider for assessment and testing.
- Both students and staff who screen positive for potential COVID-19 symptoms will be provided with a list of local testing sites and strongly encouraged to be tested.
- Anyone sent home for COVID-19 related symptoms, will not be allowed back into the schools or offices without a negative COVID-19 test, or written clearance from a healthcare provider stating that the student or staff member does not have COVID-19 symptoms and providing an alternative diagnosis for the symptom(s) presented.
- In each of our schools, the school nurse has been designated the COVID-19 facilitator assigned to monitor timelines and follow up with all students or staff who are sent home. The nurses will work in collaboration with building administration and the district's COVID-19 Coordinator. The district will keep close contact with the SCDOH regarding all potential, reported and confirmed cases of COVID-19, and they will continue to work closely with the SCDOH as they monitor health conditions.
Suffolk County Department of Health
Whether symptoms begin at home or in school, there will be a clear flow of information to facilitate fast action and prevent spread. A positive case may be reported to the school by a staff member, a parent, or a student.
A positive confirmed case will trigger an investigation by the SCDOH to determine close contacts within the school. Schools will communicate to all families and students within a school any time a case is laboratory confirmed.
Additionally, the school district with the assistance of SCDOH, will begin an investigation into the risk of exposure to the school community and work with the DOE to issue clear guidance and decisions for next steps based on the outcome. For more information about the SCDOH's contract tracing procedures, see SCDOH Contact Tracing Protocols also available on our website.