Clubs and Other Activities
Literary and Arts Magazine
- The Literary and Arts Magazine is a club for students who excel in writing, art, and/or photography. Each online issue will showcase a wide variety of original material submitted by students, including poetry, prose, and artwork.
- Advisor: Ms. Sforza and Ms. Perera
Model United Nations Club
- Model UN is dedicated to informing high school students on relevant world issues. Students confer with other high schools several times a year to debate and discuss resolutions to these issues in a format that parallels the United Nations. The club hopes to foster a sense of global awareness thus empowering young people to become active citizens in the world community.
- Advisor: Botta
National English Honor Society
- This club serves to cultivate an appreciation for the written and spoken word and to honor those students and faculty members who exemplify the philosophy of life-long readers and writers.
- Activities include reading to elementary students, organizing and participating in the African American Read In in February, organizing and participating in the “Poem of the Day” in April and working towards a Book Fair and Read-a-thon.
- The academic requirement is an 85% overall average and a 90% average in English. A writing sample and teacher recommendation is also part of the application process.
- Advisor: Perera
- The mission of Philosophy Club is to cultivate philosophical debate and self-reflection by creating an environment where students feel safe when sharing ideas that speculate on topics from morality to the existence of a God.
- Advisor: Perera
The Red & Black (Online newspaper)
- The Patchogue-Medford award-winning news site allows student journalists the opportunity to write and – have digitally published – stories that connect our school and community.
- Journalists are encouraged to seek out stories they believe appeal to our diverse student body, write, edit, and submit to the editorial staff for publication.
- Our writers are encouraged to attend meetings as often as possible to share work, pick up a beat, or help mentor.
- Outstanding student work is recognized when advisors submit writing to a variety of local and national journalism awards.
- Advisors: Sullivan & Ms. McKeough
Red Cross Club
- A high school level Red Cross Club affiliated with the Greater NY chapter. We follow the guidelines established by the National Red Cross which governs all Red Cross Clubs throughout the US. Our purpose will be to educate the community in preparedness. In addition, we will run two service projects within our community, including fundraising for the Red Cross. Service projects and fundraising is to be determined by the students. Volunteer hours for community service will be logged, and scholarship opportunities may be available. Students run the club meetings, organize and run events, and participate in local Red Cross events and programs under the advisement of a faculty member. Students interested in this club should be community minded, committed to volunteerism and the service to others.
- Advisor: Mr. DeMarco